CONSTRUCTION HAS BEGUN!
Construction of the East County Advanced Water Purification Program is underway. The Program will create a new, local, sustainable and drought-proof water supply using state-of-the-art technology to purify East San Diego County’s recycled water to produce up to 30% of the region’s drinking water.
Treatment facilities are being constructed north of Santee Lakes. The purified water pipeline will travel east through Santee and Lakeside ending at Lake Jennings. Two additional pipelines will be constructed south of the new facilities past Carlton Oaks Drive to a pump station just south of the Carlton Oaks golf course. The majority of pipeline work will be trenched, placed and covered while the remainder will be installed using trenchless technologies and methods. We realize there will be impacts from construction and appreciate your patience with noise and road travel delays while work is underway.
Construction hours will vary throughout the duration of the project and depending on project elements being completed at that time. Sign up for updates to ensure you get the latest information on the days and hours of work near you. Construction for the entire project is expected to be complete in 2025 and water production will begin in 2026.
interactive construction map
This interactive map allows you to zoom and click on project areas to find active construction zones, schedule, work hours and other information.
CONSTRUCTION MAP AND ELEMENTS
- Water recycling facility treating16 million gallons of water per day (MGD).
- Advanced water purification facility treating 11.5 MGD.
- Solids handling facility and product water pump station.
- Purified water pipeline from the advanced water purification facility, north of Santee Lakes to Lake Jennings - 10.2 miles long.
- Dechlorination facility and inlet to Lake Jennings.
- Retrofits and capacity expansions of an influent pump station and East Mission Gorge Pump Station.
- Force main pipeline - 3.5 miles long.
- Residuals bypass pipeline - 3 miles long.
- Lift station for a residuals bypass system processing 1.7 MGD.
COmmunicating about construction
We are dedicated to communicating to potentially impacted communities, including residents, businesses and schools. Communication efforts will include mailers, email updates, road signs, interactive map, webpage updates and presentations to community groups through the project area. If you have a question or would like to schedule a presentation to your group, please email us at info@EastCountyAWP.com.